LabourHome - back to the roots.

Jump to: Site Navigation / Blog Content / First Sidebar / Second Sidebar

Colin Challen stands down...leaving Morley and Outwood to Ed Balls

Andrea Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 06:33:12 PM GMT Email Print-friendly version

Colin Challen has decided not to contest the nomination for Morley and Outwood constituency.

tags: , , , (all tags)

Boundary changes abolish a seat in the area and both Colin Challen (MP for Morley & Rothwell) and Ed Balls (MP for Normanton) originally applied for Morley and Outwood.
The new Morley and Outwood constituency includes around 2/3 of Challen's current seat and 1/3 of Balls' Normanton.

Explaning his decision Challen said:

"That was my immediate response at the time but I had not thought through what I really wanted to do. We were all hoping that the Boundary Commission would provide a different result.
But I have become so involved in climate change now, especially in the last six months, that I want to find new opportunities in that area. I have found those now.
I weighed everything up in relation to my own future. I think that Ed will make a good MP for the constituency."

A former Kingston Upon Hull councillor, Colin Challen has been elected to the Commons for the first time in 2001 GE

tags: , , , (all tags)

Display: Sort:

Morley and Outwood Balls (#1)

by bornin84 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 09:16:36 PM GMT

How long then till he's Lord Challen?

Re: Colin Challen stands down (#2)

by ChrisRoberts on Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 10:43:18 PM GMT

Probably in Gordon Brown's dissolution honours list. That said Colin is a smashing bloke. Knew him when he was a Labour Party Organiser and I wish him well for the future.

Re: Colin Challen stands down (#3)

by swatantra on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 09:47:58 AM GMT

I wouldn't do it Gordon. It might be thought of as an inducement. Anyway, going to the Lords should be done on merit and value a member can bring to the Chamber. It should not be filling the Chamber with cannon fodder.

[ Parent ]

Re: Colin Challen stands down (#5)

by HenryG on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 10:06:07 AM GMT

I understand where you're coming from, but hopefully anyone that knows Colin Challen wouldn't describe him as cannon fodder!

[ Parent ]

Re: (#4)

by Andrea on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 10:04:55 AM GMT

Challen will be taking a new job with Sir Nicholas Stern.

Re: (#6)

by alexhilton on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 12:00:01 PM GMT

The general election could be as far off as 2010. That's a long time for job to be held open.

Does this mean Challen is going early? I seriously doubt Balls would stand in a by-election, then relinquish Normanton and trigger another by-election.

[ Parent ]

Re: (#7)

by Andrea on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 12:14:32 PM GMT

Oh no, he'll naturally continue until the next GE.
Where did you get the impression that he wants to go early?

Actually I'm puzzled by the Indipendent coverage...."His departure will trigger a battle for the new Morley and Outwood constituency, which replaces Mr Challen's old seat in the boundary changes that take effect at the next election. One name already being mentioned as his replacement is Ed Balls, the Treasury minister whose own seat disappears in the boundary changes"

actually since Balls applied for that seat, I think there'll be just a trigger ballot of branches and not a real "battle" for the nomination...did I get it wrong?

[ Parent ]

Re: (#8)

by alexhilton on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 12:27:48 PM GMT

Who offers a job on the basis of it starting at some indeterminate date, not of the employer's choice, some time in the next three and a half years?

[ Parent ]

Re: (#9)

by Andrea on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 12:39:49 PM GMT

All media reports about Challen's decision mention he'll work with Stern (and also the Centre for Energy Policy Studies at Cambridge University).
However I don't really know what kind of job it is and when he's supposed to start it.

Anyway I'm sure he'll go on until the next GE as he said "Of course I will continue to represent Morley and Rothwell until the next general election to the best of my ability"

[ Parent ]

Re: (#10)

by nickparrott on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 01:40:33 PM GMT

did I get it wrong?

No, I think it's the Indy that's in the wrong on this one.

[ Parent ]

Re: (#11)

by swatantra on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 02:25:41 PM GMT

A lot of MP's moonlight and have other sources of income. He can still work with Stern, fitting it in with his work as an MP. Brown is likely to call an election in October 2008. It would be foolish to wait till 2010; its going to get tougher the longer he hangs on.

[ Parent ]

Re: (#12)

by alexhilton on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 05:29:43 PM GMT

That's a bold statement about 2008. I feel that might merit an entire article to itself

[ Parent ]

Re: (#13)

by swatantra on Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 05:49:30 PM GMT

He'll wait for Labours showing in the May 2008 localelections, and if they are promising as they should be, still in his honeymoon period, he will be tempted to take the plunge in Autumn 2008. Mind you, if they decide to reorganise local government, it could put his plans on hold.

[ Parent ]

Re: (#14)

by Parishpumpspin on Sat Feb 03, 2007 at 09:17:42 PM GMT

Mr Challen has been ill, and is proberbly tired of Leeds/Morley/politics.

[ Parent ]